"Carol Buchanan is an historian with a novelist's ear capable of rending the individual voices of character into the orchestral narrative of a sweeping story." (Craig Johnson, author of the Longmire series of contemporary Western novels and creator of the Longmire TV series on Netflix)
"While your published books are fictional, you have very credible historical underpinnings to your works. I enjoyed God's Thunderbolt, especially the portion involving Stark's cross-examination of George Ives's alibi witness over the details of their card game." (Hon. Mark C. Dillon, Associate Justice of the New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division. Author, Montana Vigilantes 1863 - 1870: Gold, Guns, and Gallows)
The Ghost at Beaverhead Rock
- "Buchanan offers a murder mystery that is set during a formative time in Montana's history. It is an absorbing period, when the laws were unclear and so much rested on their creation and enforcement. The story is based on true events, and the author wisely populates the town of Virginia City with characters that really lived or are modeled on those who did (such as Stark). Stark is a compelling, complicated hero, one of several finely drawn characters who bring the Old West to life." (Kirkus Reviews, 2016, about The Ghost at Beaverhead Rock).
- "Carol Buchanan's fourth and final novel about a vigilante episode in Montana and Idaho Territory during the Civil War is a masterful and suspenseful addition to the previous stories." Richard S. Wheeler, 6-time winner of the Spur Award, and the Owen Wister award for Lifetime Achievement (2001). He was inducted into the Western Writers of America Hall of Fame in 2015.
Gold Under Ice
- "Carol Buchanan Strikes it Rich with Gold Under Ice " (The Billings Gazette)
- The Great Falls Tribune said, "Gold Under Ice brings Montana's gold camps to life in a story of action and adventure, larceny and love, all rooted in history."
- Dave Reuss of Outside Bozeman wrote that Gold Under Ice is a "gripping Montana tale with meticulous historical research by a talented Montana writer. Any fan of historical fiction should check it out."